Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sexuality in the media-- a lot! Beware..

I do not have a lot of time to watch TV, especially during the hours of the worst (most sexual content) TV programs. The week before this assignment was due, I was not able to fit any TV time into my schedule. The assignment said to not change my TV watching habits (and I almost took it to heart). I do not watch any TV since I've started up school for the Spring 2010.

I tried really hard to watch 1 full program called "Bones", but eventually ended up watching the last 5 minutes of 3 different programs. These 50 minute breaks I took from the TV were necessary for my children. although, there was a lot of sexual content in these last 5 minutes of these 3 different shows, I was not able to find the name of the shows. I saw at least 10 innuendo's during the last 5 minutes of a show called (something like) "A man and a half (??)" I was really sad that I didn't find the names but figured since I hadn't seen the whole show, I should not use them. So I tried again the next week (Yes the week they were due)Monday, was hard as I tried to watch that same "man and a half" show.. I only caught the last 5 minutes, because I had to take care of my girls. These girls (my girls) wanted my attention. Yes all three. So, I had to give it to them. By the time they found something else to do, there was only 5 minutes left. And that's how the story went with TV watching.

I tried again, and again; I had no luck. Then the night before the assignment was due,I also tried to watch "little house on the prairie" but ended up mostly listening to it. I fed my daughters and was not able to take notes. I loved the story, no sexual content that I could hear. I then got more busy watching 3 more kids (their parents had an emergency). But, I kept on trying to complete this assignment.

I started again (the same night)with American Idol, and there was some sexual content, but I was too busy to log it, plus I did not watch the whole thing. 6 kids all under 4 yrs, with most under 2yrs. is a handful.. I enjoyed American Idol, and got to see the Idol I invested most of my calls into.. David Archuleta. Simon was leaving the show.. he's the best. Umm.. Ok, back to the story.

So, I decided to wait. again. My kids finally went to sleep, and the last 3 kids parents showed up.

I then got to watch 4 shows. The first show was called "Everybody loves Raymond." It was about bullying, and the family. I was surprised that there was no sexual content at all in this show.

The second show I watched was "Scrubs." I thought there was a lot of sexual messages talked about in this show. I also thought there would be more sexual content, but this episode seemed pretty mild.

The third show I watched was "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." This show had the most sexual messages in it as I thought it would. I counted over 20. There was a comedian woman on the show, she was not funny at all, she was annoying. All she would talk about was sexual stuff. Maybe that's why she was annoying-- her message was sex and sex. That's all, plus she was all about herself.. wish I could remember her name. Then Paula Dean(?) from the food network station came on, and her innuendo's were definitely there as she flirted with Jay Leno.. words like "Your Nuts" and "how do you like it? fast/slow?"

The last show I watched was "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" my husband was home by this time, and he wanted to watch this. So I also saw how much sex he had in his show. He had less sex than Scrubs, but more than "Raymond." His humor was more centered around Violence and sex. I was surprised that I could see this theme in his show. I was also glad. Because now, I feel like I should watch every show that I can get to, to see how much sex is in it, or what the theme of the show is.

This experience of watching 3 programs was very difficult to me. I had to slowly change my media habits to watch TV or else I wouldn't have watched anything by the time the night before the assignment was due. In other words, change takes time, and this change to watch TV again was not easy for me. I am glad to actually point out all the sex that is there in the media. I do not agree with what people in the media say about sex or the innuendo's I hear. Is it really necessary? don't these media giants have anything better to do or joke about? No they don't. Sex and sexuality is and should be kept private. Especially talk about it. It is sacred. How times are changing.
(Random Thought: What if everybody spoke up about this.. we could change public opinion.. just like Ads [referring to my Power of Mouth blog] we are socialized to be a certain way. We don't have to accept it. We can do something about it. We can be the leaders not the passive followers, wouldn't that be cool?hmmm time to be an active leader. :) what a great goal!)
I now feel more aware of the TV I watch, and I will be keeping track of how much sex or innuendo's is on TV. I feel this issue is important!

I would rather watch "Bollywood" with it's violence and drama and musicals rather than "Holly(sex)wood" and their sexual innuendo's. I also hear many songs talking about sex, but that is for another blog in another time.

1 comment: