Friday, June 11, 2010

Commercial Stop Program Stop Commerical Stop Memories Stop

I feel like I am more aware of media than ever before. I was driving in my car with the radio on (of course) and I was listening to the commercials for a long time, because I had to concentrate on the road, therefore I couldn't change the station. I don't remember what the commercial was saying but then they were finished and I heard "now that is the end of our commercials, it's time to get back to our program-- another 30 minutes of non-stop music.." I thought, wow, the FCC or whoever it may be is really cracking down on commercial programing. Either that or Programing stations.

Then I turned off the radio (I don't really like commercials). I sat in silence then I thought about another media topic. Could the portrayal of women in the media be the reason for my brother-in-law not getting married? He's 30 years old, or something like that (give or take), but he feels that he needs to have the prettiest girl ever. Although I think his idea of pretty is tiny skinny, gorgeously beautiful, and well flawless. He did bring over a girl who looked like this.. she was thinner than a barbie doll!

This flawless part made me think of the days when I was dating this guy (who is now my husband). On our first or second date he had looked at my arms, then said "You have hair on your arms." I laughed at this... because of course I have hair on my arms, I'm sure that everyone else does too.. naturally (some show more than others). I think maybe this guys image of the girl he wanted to marry was the thin ideal type shown in the media, who had flawless features. I was slim, but I had hair on my arm. It wasn't worth it to waste my time trying to be someone I couldn't be. But, he said "sorry." Funny. So maybe it wasn't just this brother who couldn't get married, it was my husband to, but helped him see straight.

Ok, so back to being aware of the media all around me. I am seeing how it affects people, especially myself. Lately I have been spoiling my daughter like crazy. I get her whatever she wants, because I don't like the crying-- Pester Powered Girl. So, I've decided it's not the best idea to go shopping with my children.
 (This is a picture of my oldest daughter: 14 months, she started doing her own media very young, too young)

I am watching everything I do with the media. I like being more aware of everything in the media. It's empowering! Now it's time for me to go make some Emeril Laggasse food, that Im getting from one of his cook-books.

No comments:

Post a Comment